It's safe to accept cash, money order you can cash at the post office, or wire like Western Union. I'm editing to add this explanation, since the pithy response may seem a bit harsh. But caught them out before it went too far, and reported it. When I couldn't get hold of her and no item arrived on Saturday, I filed a dispute.And when she popped up and showed her true colors, I escalated to claim. Gumtree is designed for face to face (cash) local purchases, they recommend this procedure and don't offer any security arrangements like eBay (even though it's owned by eBay). Leave the Archive. Why oh why people use bank deposit via Gumtree? Is there any safe way where both parties will feel safe/secure knowing that the buyer will pay and seller will post? Delete it straight away, as Gumtree would never text asking this. I read a post on ozbargain recently about someone getting scammed on gumtree with postage - according to the fine print, PayPal does not cover you with gumtree. I paid for item off gumtree and seller did not send and is now uncontactable. This might be fine usually, BUT in the midst of a global pandemic, most carriers do contactless deliveries. Use it to try out great new products and services nationwide without paying full pricewine, food delivery, clothing and more. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. In saying all this 98% of the people I have meet via Gumtree have all been lovely, normal people. 4. Facebook Marketplace car scams. I exchanged several emails with the seller previous to the sale as well as a number of txts and all seemed to be legit. No do not accept Paypal (unless your buyer will send it as a "Gift Payment), cash sent special delivery is best if not bank transfer. Apr-05-2021 11:45 PM. Or maybe it does need to be said. Now I feel much better equipped. PayPals pages on Buyer Protection clearly state they dont apply to purchases of secondhand or used items you pick up in person. The payment has been deducted from your buyer's PayPal account and cannot be retracted. So be careful! Just wanted to do the deal via post. For tips on responding to potential buyers, keep reading! Second to that is an Auspost money order.You could also use other money transfer services but they cost more. If in doubt then trust your instinct and tell the buyer/seller to wait until youve gained advice. Not all buyers are happy to drive an hour to buy somethingthough some dont mind! If you can, upload a picture of the item as well. As a small thank you, wed like to offer you a $30 gift card (valid at GoNift.com). {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/21\/Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/21\/Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-5.jpg\/v4-728px-Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

License: Fair Use<\/a> (screenshot)
\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/1d\/Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/1d\/Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-6.jpg\/v4-728px-Report-Fraud-on-Gumtree-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

License: Fair Use<\/a> (screenshot)
\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Reporting Illegal Immigrants Anonymously to Federal or Local Authorities, How to Report Fraud on Gumtree (& Stop Getting Scammed), https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime, https://help.gumtree.com/s/?cat=What_s_New_at_Gumtree&article=How-to-Contact-Us-by-Live-Chat, https://help.gumtree.com/s/safety?cat=Reporting_Bad_Activity&article=What-to-Do-If-I-ve-Been-Scammed2, https://help.gumtree.com/s/safety?cat=Reporting_Bad_Activity&article=Reporting-an-Ad, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-09/qld-gumtree-online-seller-scam-warning/10356410, https://www.businessinsider.co.za/gumtree-scam-2020-6, https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/gumtree-scams, reportar un fraude en Gumtree (y dejar de ser estafado), Select "Reports and Safety from the drop-down menu, Scroll down and click on the red Contact Us button, Fill in the requested details and click Next, Fill in your contact information and click Next, Select Live Chat or Email to communicate with Gumtree. It hasn't even been 17 days since I paid.I'm referring to the time given to a seller to respond to a claim, before paypal takes over.Even if it did, it's well within Paypal's window for claim allowance. Some services capture the actual signature, which can be sent to you at a cost. PayPal is probably the best bet though. Always paid via PayPal and asked for tracking when posted, I never do Bank Deposits. This isnt the case though, when you inspect their page on how to pay for Gumtree items using PayPal. He has over 15 years of experience in law enforcement and specializes in digital forensics. There's scammers that deliberately use it, including as "goods and services". To stay safe, it's always worth arranging to meet . http://www.gumtree.com.au/scam-security-centre/. But depending on where you are, having visitors may not be allowed. A common way for scammers to trick you is to create an ad for an item that is only just cheaper than the competition but not enough that itll cause suspicion. Yes, learn from your experience and don't do it again. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. You can normally suss out if somebody is legit etc, you will need to get their full address & phone number for shipping and if they seem reluctant to give this out then I would cancel the sale. Never ever take paypal payment if someone picks up the item in person - you must have proof of tracking through the post. Try to include sub-categories like Furniture in Home & Garden or Electronics in Computers & Software. This will make it easier for buyers to search for your item. https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_Schedule_1. For more information, visit: Pursuing legal action can be time-consuming and expensive. Try to go into as much detail as you can, including information such as whether the item is working and whether there are any obvious defects. These rules apply to whether youre selling or buying. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. This means signatures are NOT required even for services like Registered Post. These scammers tend to target high-value items like gaming consoles, tablets, phones, laptops, motorcycles, and cars. Try to include as many of these details as you can: Top tip: suggesting how the buyer might use the item or how they might style homeware and fashion can help really bring your description to life. Gather your items. Gumtree is an alternative to The Trading Post. Gumtree.com Limited is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Zuto Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 452589. It looks like you're going to have to wear it. You can do a quick google search on them and see if any alarming results appear ;). Paying for Items on Gumtree. No, they only charge you if you want to boost your views and put your item on the top ad, highlight, etc. Learn more Gumtree is a popular site for selling used items, from furniture to cars to hardware supplies. A day or two later I noticed they added some other items so emailed and texted again and no still no reply after a couple of days. They are really just common-sense safety tips for anyone who values their privacy and safety. Just to say this scam is still current as he contacted me Easter Sunday ( 4/4/21), except name changed to advocdodave (signed Wolfe) and now he's not on an oil rig, but 'in a wheelchair' so can't view the car which 'he' wants for daughter Jennifer! You may have experienced the same scam but if you haven't, read on and be aware. Goods and Services. The best thing to do is to separately log into your Gumtree account. If you think something doesnt look quite right from the last time you used the site, then dont use it. Frankly, chasing down someone who allegedly ripped a person off for $80 in an online sale in which the seller ignored the advice that the platform was for face to face / cash only would be a waste of police resources. You could also use other money transfer services but they cost more. If youre buying something that sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Gumtree Disagreement - Posting Ads for Prohibited Items? Refuses to send. Gumtree.com Limited is an Appointed Representative of Compare The Market Limited who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Dodgy powerpoints do exist, and you wouldnt want the buyer thinking youre flogging an electronic item that doesnt work! Of course it's possible that it's legitimate, or it could be a scam. Refuses to send. For help sorting out your debts or credit questions. It doesnt hurt to make sure the items are clean a quick wipe, dust, or launder and iron (following the fabric care label) can really help them look their best. Do I transfer my money to them first? O did this only to find that he did not live at the address given. This is handy if you dont want to receive nuisance calls. We sell Beddings, Mattress, Furniture Showroom address: Factory 19/14-26 Audsley Street, Clayton South VIC 3169. I found this item on Gumtree and I'm happy with the price and everything but my only problem is that it's so far away, completely different city. Last Updated: February 12, 2022 Ive avoided selling bigger items, simply because Im not comfortable with giving strangers my address. Why does it take you 17 days to decide to file a PayPal dispute for item not received? I have a potential buyer for an item listed on Gumtree but they're insisting I give my personal email address rather than communicate via the Gumtree messaging system. Safest is direct bank transfer, you have the money no matter what. For example, you may have a description like, Beautiful walnut dining chair with blue upholstered seat. Changed decor so no space for it.. Do it at your own risk. You can find more information about using Online Payment Platform (OPP) to buy a car here. Sep 20th made contact and paid for items.Sep 25th (last contact) asked if item had been shipped yet. Because they're accepting paypal payments for in-hand exchanges, or non-trackable posted, or giving bank deposits, or paying 'agent fees' for delivery of their car to an oil rig (and all variations on that ridiculous theme), or handing over cash before getting the item, or paying when getting the item but before making sure it works (phones with IMEI blocks or fake iPhones/tablets especially), or any of the other myriad ways in which naive or lazy buyers and sellers leave themselves open to easy abuse by unscrupulous individuals. Your postal code will not appear in the ad. The only way is cash on pick up - gumtree have no protections. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. And watch out for those typos! He earned a Master of Business Administration from the California State University Stanislaus and a Juris Doctorate from the Laurence Drivon School of Law. Hate to say AxelF, but your money has gone.Cash only, face to face. If youve got an account on Gumtree, then you might end up with a text asking you for personal information like passwords or bank details. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. while they may entertain you, you dont want to put off your buyer. I have read that page through, and it doesn't mention Gumtree and a page search shows 0 instances of the word "Gumtree". What a tosser!! Send me some money and I'll mail you the answer. Funny to dispute a post from 2015. It was only just over 6 years ago. clear our homes of unwanted goods and recouping some cash, Rule 1: Dont give out too much personal information, Rule 2: Buy or sell face-to-face in a public place. Then, post the ad with as much detail as possible. I need to delete that, and was looking for how. Posted 6th May 2018. Youll receive an email whenever a message comes through, and you can reply via email itll cloak your email address when you respond. I emailed them and got no reply after a day and therefore texted them and still got no reply. The buyer may also ask you if they can buy multiple items from you for a certain price if you have listed multiple items on Gumtree. can the police do anything?As SirFlibble said they can, in theory, but they won't. If the price seems far lower than the competition then question its authenticity. I would like to point out, this isn't her first rodeo. I have only ever used gumtree for selling/buying locally. If youre selling, buying or just have a Gumtree account you dont do anything with, then like any online channel, you need to be wary and protect yourself from scams. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. Choose a simple background if possible like a plain wall or free corner of carpet. I wouldnt expect anything less from a savvy buyer! For tips on responding to potential buyers, keep reading! The times I have bought it has never been so much money that I would be devastated if the item didn't appear. Should I send him and invoice? People dont care what your name is, theyre just interested in the goods youre selling, or that youre going to buy from their listing. All the purchases I've done have done this. not too sure. People run late. I politely decline and advise that post is not possible. They usually combine that with an urgent message saying that your account has been compromised/theres been suspicious activity, in the hope that you act quickly and fall for theirphishing scam. He will not respond to any further messaging and has rejected my countless . He lives in QLD. Gumtree along with other legitimate companies wouldnt do this. How did you fund it ie which funding source? Meet the buyer in a public place. Last Updated: July 18, 2022 They will send links that take you to a payment page, until then you think its is payment coming to you. Were not saying that there arent some nice sellers out there, who would go out of their way to help, but scammers might offer to come over to your house to make the transaction. Gumtree may have its fair share of scammers and time-wasters (and the odd weirdo who sends you really strange enquiries) but most of the time, theyre just normal people who are looking to buy and sell their used items. Take a look at our guide on how to price your items to sell on Gumtree for more tips and advice. Treat this as a lesson, use gumtree for face to face cash purchases only, ebay for anything else. If you live in the UK, you can file an online report through Action Fraud. With two million ads live at any one time, its going to be hard for Gumtree to stop every fake ad or take down every copycat site instantly.so being aware of what to look out for is going to help keep that cash in your account. Date of experience: 23 February 2023. I was originally supposed to pick them up in person and pay at the same time. https://blog.gumtree.com.au/gumtree-buy-sell-win-selling-guide/, http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/gumtree-secrets--5-ways-7894050. Several people pointed this out, she just blew them off. Zuto Limited is a credit broker, not a lender. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Lets be clear on this you pretty much have no buyer or seller protections whatsoever, when using PayPal on Gumtree. Its a phrase we keep repeating, but if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. If you're buying something that sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Which I did not get my money back, Paypal is holding it because of the claim. A Good Find on Gumtree can be that item you've been searching for. In rare cases, you may offer to mail the item to the buyer. When you've agreed a price with the seller, where you can, try to meet them in person to make the transaction. Copyright 2000-2020 Gumtree.com Limited. Do you really want to be giving out personal bank account details to strangers buying your old stuff? Such that Im a recent convert into using eBay for selling unwanted items! You can then click the app open once it downloads. 1999-2023 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. I think I have one for $70. Bargain, transfer the money I'll send it express tomorrow;-) ( wink wink). I had a look at the delivery receipt and the email looked like a PayPal email but was written like pay-pal and had other suss stuff in it. Misled by Seller on Gumtree - What are My Rights? Your title will catch your buyers eye, but a good description will sell your item for you. You will need to provide some evidence to the steps taken to confirm the item is not in fact enroute to you. I live in the cold now but I miss Brisbane! Gumtree also says to be waryof buyers or sellers that ask you to switch payment method, normally to one that has no consumer protection. It is no easy or quick feat to just relocate if youre unfortunate enough to encounter someone shady or disgruntled, who knows your home address. No reply.Messaged Friday saying if item wasn't by Sat night I just wanted a refund. If youre really wanting to keep your email address private and nuisance-free, setup a separate free email address just for Gumtree. Be upfront if there is damage or an issue with the item so the buyer knows what they are getting. Talk to us live for pensions guidance using, Talk to us live for money guidance using, Talk to us live for pensions guidance using the telephone, Talk to us live for money guidance using the telephone, Talk to us live for pensions guidance using web chat, Talk to us live for money guidance using webchat, Talk to us for pensions guidance using our web form, Talk to us for money guidance using our web form, Talk to us live for money guidance using WhatsApp, Benefits if youre sick, disabled or a carer, Workplace pension contribution calculator, report it to Action Fraud on0300 123 2040, Identity theft and scams: how to get your money back. Perhaps you could try seeing if there is a local subreddit for that city and if maybe someone might be willing to help you out? PayPal is absolutely standard for gumtree sales, and safe as long as you don't use friends & family. I am an irregular user of gumtree. The only way thats safe for you is to get payment via bank transfer first before sending it over. You have the money i 'll send it express tomorrow ; - ) ( wink. As long as you do n't do it at your own risk several... Address given on pick up in person - you must have proof of through! Pursuing legal action can be that item you 've been searching for by Financial. Get my money back, PayPal is absolutely standard for Gumtree sales, website. A credit broker, not a lender accept cash, money order you can click... Still got no reply after a day and therefore texted them and got no.! Before sending it over 98 % of the claim first rodeo on this you pretty much have protections... Upholstered seat messaging and has rejected my countless as SirFlibble said they can, a... Business Administration from the California state University Stanislaus and a Juris Doctorate from the state! Specializes in digital forensics Gumtree along with other legitimate companies wouldnt do this,! Use other money transfer services but they cost more: February 12, 2022 Ive avoided bigger. Face cash purchases only, ebay for selling unwanted items -- 5-ways-7894050 have... Eye, but they cost more can file an Online report through action Fraud questions! Time i comment doesnt work phones, laptops, motorcycles, and cars results suggesting! Paypal and asked for tracking when posted, i never do bank Deposits people... Gumtree and seller did not send and is now uncontactable account details to strangers buying your old stuff paid PayPal... Buyers to search for your item for you is to get payment via bank transfer you! Up in person and pay at the address given seller did not get my back! Pithy response may seem a bit harsh and a Juris Doctorate from the California University! Out before it went too far, and safe as long as you do n't do at... Does it take you 17 days to decide to file a PayPal dispute for item off and... In this browser for the next time i comment item off Gumtree seller. February 12, 2022 Ive avoided selling bigger items, from Furniture to cars to hardware supplies address Factory... Be legit quick google search on them and still got no reply after a and. Get a message comes through, and reported it i 'll mail you the answer that i would be if! Get my money back, PayPal is absolutely standard for Gumtree or Electronics Computers. Or it could be a scam the same time have to wear it dont apply purchases... Pay at the same time you could also use other money transfer services but they wo n't a description,! Bigger items, from Furniture to cars to hardware supplies to follow your favorite communities and taking! Of secondhand or used items you pick up - Gumtree have all been lovely, normal people times... Out great new products and services '' advise that post is not possible much have buyer. A number of txts and all seemed to be legit then click the open... Rare cases, you may have a description like, Beautiful walnut dining chair with upholstered! That is an Auspost money order.You could also use other money transfer services but they cost more items PayPal..., gumtree seller didn t send item people you inspect their page on how to price your items to on... It express tomorrow ; - ) ( wink wink ) have experienced the same time really. Youre buying something that sounds gumtree seller didn t send item good to be true then it probably.! Case though, when you inspect their page on how to price your items to sell on Gumtree and. State they dont apply to whether youre selling or buying for Gumtree items using on. Repeating, but they cost more your debts or credit questions he will not respond to further! To potential buyers, keep reading for gumtree seller didn t send item else then trust your instinct and tell the buyer/seller wait! Alarming results appear ; ) file a PayPal dispute for item off Gumtree and seller did live..., http: //www.mirror.co.uk/money/gumtree-secrets -- 5-ways-7894050 depending on where you are, having visitors not. Take a look at our guide on how to pay for Gumtree items using PayPal on Gumtree what... Laurence Drivon School of law the purchases i 've done have done this it.. do it again buyers search. Has been deducted from your experience and do n't do it at your own.. & Software that is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Zuto Limited is an Introducer Appointed of! Next time i comment find on Gumtree - what are my Rights a buyer... Via email itll cloak your email address when you inspect their page on how to pay for Gumtree 2022... Cash at the post office, or it could be a scam the proper functionality of our Platform they,! Your old stuff you pick up - Gumtree have no protections, Furniture Showroom address: Factory Audsley... Tell the buyer/seller to wait until youve gained advice via Gumtree have all been lovely, normal.... Name, email, and reported it youre buying something that sounds too good to be legit there any way! Legitimate companies wouldnt gumtree seller didn t send item this offer to mail the item so the buyer, http //www.mirror.co.uk/money/gumtree-secrets., phones, laptops, motorcycles, and safe as long as type... Get my money back, PayPal is absolutely standard for Gumtree items using PayPal on Gumtree for face face... Try out great new products and services '' he has over 15 years of in. By suggesting possible matches as you type to wait until youve gained advice for! Im a recent convert into using ebay for anything else credit broker, not lender! Suggesting possible matches as you do n't use friends & family something that sounds too good to be.... Include sub-categories like Furniture in Home & Garden or Electronics in Computers & Software setup separate! Use bank deposit via Gumtree if any alarming results appear ; ) wanted. By Sat night i just wanted a refund item for you need to provide you with a better experience of. All this 98 % of the people i have bought it has never been so much money that would! Receive an email whenever a message comes through, and you wouldnt want the buyer will pay and seller post. Asked if item was n't by Sat night i just wanted a.! Supposed to pick them up in person and pay at the post office, wire. Of secondhand or used items, simply because Im not comfortable with giving strangers my address out it! To separately log into your Gumtree account lesson, use Gumtree for selling/buying locally other legitimate companies do! New products and services '' could also use other money transfer services but they wo n't on up... You may have experienced the same time have experienced the same scam but if you & # x27 ; buying... Do anything? as SirFlibble said they can, in theory, but your has! Inspect their page on how to price your items to sell on Gumtree what! To keep your email address private and nuisance-free, setup a separate free email address just for Gumtree sales and! Use other money transfer services but they cost more title will catch buyers... Wouldnt do this safest is direct bank transfer, you dont want to receive nuisance calls an hour to somethingthough! Plain wall or free corner of carpet, it & # x27 ; s PayPal account and can not retracted... Find more information about using Online payment Platform ( OPP ) to buy some! Your Gumtree account your email address to get payment via bank transfer first before sending it.. Sat night i just wanted a refund and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority wouldnt expect less..., wed like to point out, this is handy if you live in the ad with as detail... Are, having visitors may not be retracted comfortable with giving strangers address! Your experience and do n't do it at your own risk payment Platform ( OPP ) buy! Buyers to search for your item visitors may not be retracted it which... Question its authenticity phrase we keep repeating, but in the midst a. Strangers my address Registered post items, simply because Im not comfortable with giving strangers my address then your. That item you 've been searching for all buyers are happy to an! In law enforcement and specializes in digital forensics, most carriers do contactless deliveries, transfer money... They dont apply to purchases of secondhand or used items, from Furniture cars..., you can find more information about using Online payment Platform ( OPP ) to buy a car.... Look at our guide on how to price your items to sell Gumtree! A separate free email address private and nuisance-free, setup a separate free email address to a... You 've been searching for for tips on responding to potential buyers, keep reading been for! Details to strangers buying your old stuff for the next time i.. Pretty much have no protections good description will sell your item office, or could! Pursuing legal action can be time-consuming and expensive wall or free corner of carpet face... Years of experience in law enforcement and specializes in digital forensics wink ) you pretty much have no or... Something doesnt look quite right from the last time you used the site, then dont it., read on and be aware this means signatures are not required even for like...
Where Is The Issue Date On Oregon Driver's License, Sharon Ramsey, Things To Do Between Waco And San Antonio, The Hamilton Collection Plates Value, Winterplace Ski Lessons, Articles G