guides, Check cars for recalls, common issues & maintenance "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. After downloading pulley specs I came up with a pulley from a GM 6.6 duratec engine. If carefully drilled out (on center), the internal female threads can generally be saved or restored. get a used one. There was grinding, clicking, small amount of smoke. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The tensioner might have a hard time staying in the vise. An overheating problem while idling could be caused by multiple issues, ranging from sludge that is clogging the coolant lines, to a radiator fan that is not activating as well as it should. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. The Chevrolet Oil Light Monitor system indicates when and what service your car needs. Since you're in Washington. To loosen belt, you loosen the tensioner pulley nut, and then turn the adjusting bolt in to relieve tension. There is the remains of the broken bolt to be removed! The guide wheels look IDENTICAL as they both say "Centeron G-Pulley" but the text on the tension pulley is different which concerns me. Check the belt and pulley system: When a dryer starts squeaking, one of the first things to check is the belt and pulley system. I am going to talk to Honda tomorrow and see how this could happen again. If I get the bolt out, I am still worried if the timing belt jump a gear. Drive Belt Auto-tensioner Removal/Installation (K20Z). bimmerfest.com is not in any way affiliated with Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. No change. Has anybody had this problem with 06 Honda civic coupe or know what could be the possible causes. I'm getting good at it now. Mine snapped off too. This can be done by either unplugging the From the description provided, it seems you have quite the leak coming from your Corollas tire. Also drilled the belt tensioner to 12mm. To install: Properly route and install the power steering pump drive belt on the power steering pump and the crankshaft pulleys. Due to factors beyond the control of ChrisFix, no information contained in this video shall create any expressed or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. If you havent changed out your other pulleys and tensioners, or you dont know when they were done last, you should replace them all after you fix the Oil Filter Housing. Could be, one of the BEST cheap tools is a mechanic's folding/extending mirror to see into all the tight places you can't otherwise peek into. My bolt broke about 1000 miles ago and just broke again today. Had to have the entire assembly replaced . I had timing belt and drive belt change 4.5years ado @88590. bimmerfest.com is an independent BMW enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. A 5mm Allen wrench or bolt can be used as a pin. Put in an extra long M12 bolt with a ny-lock nut and washer on the rear. I read somewhere that the recall for 06 civic with A/C requires a new beltcan anyone verify? You can bow to it into the gadget or computer unit. If the tensioner has any front to rear thrust, change it. 2023 The real question is why did the first one break?? The bolt just threads into the block. E46 Fanatics Forum is an independent BMW enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope, Inc. Everything should be fine. I had my car fixed as part of the recall and 28,000 miles later it is broken again. Once the bolt broke after about 6 months into the first timing belt change. Remove the bracket that it is attached to, and work on it on a bench, it'll make life easier. Tensioner bolt brakes twice in a week! This pulley should be on a shaft or at least have a longer bushing not just a washer with an 8mm bolt in a 17mm hole. My fear damage was from lockup up while shit was breaking. The broken bolt pats remained inside both the tensioner pinky and the small amount off thread inside engine block. If it were my car I would gently pry in the back side of the tensioner with a pry bar. Use a 17mm socket to move the tensioner up (service) position. Yes, I did over-tighten it, and felt stupid I did. Update #3. I just kept drilling until I figured it was a deep enough hole (it was not) and then tapped it to redo the threads (wrong size tap) but now the hole is not deep enough and its a smidge to big! And 100% buy the correct bolt from Honda. Make sense? 8thcivic.com is not in any way affiliated with Honda Motor Company, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. No belt and drive tensioner so battery dies. www.rockauto.com, Cadillac, 2006, DTS - belt drive; the 3-rib belt and 3-rib pulley. If you desire that the required operation be performed by a certified mechanic, please request service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. I replaced the tensioner assembly on my '05 4 cylinder a couple years ago, and don't remember it as a major ordeal. Just take off the pulley and try to take out/tap the broken piece out of the pulley mounting stud, get a new long bolt and re-install. Insert your 1/2" drive ratchet or belt removal tool into the hole on the tensioner. Adam, I have 07 Fusion and have am having same issues. Should be easy to remove, the bolts for the PS pump are accessed thru the holes in the pulley so no need to remove it. I believe the bolt is way too weak. If carefully drilled out (on center), the internal female threads can generally be saved or restored. Learn how to fix a squeaky tensioner pulley in your car. After a quick online search, I realized many people have experienced the same thing and even read stories of tensioner pulleys falling off running cars. Rotate it clockwise towards the driver side to release tension. The tensioner pulley looks like an idler pulley, only with an adjusting bolt protruding out about 2 inches from just behind the pulley. ChrisFix recommends safe practices when working on vehicles and or with tools seen or implied in this video. 1 - 18 of 18 Posts. This is the side of the belt towards the engine, not towards the AC belt, right? Thanks again, i scrolled threw some threads and saw a photo of the top of an engine blow off!!! Connect the negative battery cable. Content on bimmerfest.com is generated by its users. If you have any further questions at all regarding this service, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you. Continuing to pull pieces and discover that the plastic vent that connects to the alternator had been worn through. Any honda tecs have I.N. What could be some things to look at? JavaScript is disabled. Together and between them they had gone to and beyond the furthest limits of physical laws, restructured the fundamental fabric of matter, strained, twisted and broken the laws of possibility and impossibility, but still the greatest excitement of all seemed to be to meet a man with an orange sash round his neck. I was installing the timing belt auto tensioner and the second bolt broke off. That would explain it if so. Thanks for the info, good write-up on the pulleys. Youre over thinking this. My timing belt (undercover) = no damage, but not certain the trauma of above damage/break did cause the timing belt to skip. Last time they didn't have them at the parts store I was near when it broke. A bit bubbly like it melted. Not good. 3rd Gen: 3rd owner - 2007 maroon EX 240,000m (will trade for RA3!). Mine has broken 5 times! I'm thinking about using the original belt routing. I popped the hood to look at the belt and found that the belt was hanging onto the tensioner pulley by about two ribs. Remove 6 mm drill bit [6] . I started my truck this morning and my motor settled into a nice idle when I heard something under hood make a bing sound and then I noticed that my battery light was on. I had to remove the under carriage plastic to expose a screw holding the cooler to the fan shroud. This bolt has to be accessed from inside the wheel well. It is at the dealership now. Broken tensioner pulley bolt. Parts can be found at Home Depot or Lowes. I usually do it by substituting components from non working cylinders to working cylinders to see if the misfire moves. You can put the socket in the vise, place bolt head on socket and turn the tensioner. Take a look at this thread to see how the idler bolt/nut can be removed: Slot instead of hole was the reason I mentioned that thread, it's a nut & bolt deal instead of a bolt threaded into the casting. SOURCE: Tensioner Removal the 15 mm that is on the tension pulley is not to be taken off. Yeah, it's a straight bolt. Hello, my 2007 odyssey ex-l drive belt tensioner bolt broke @136000. 2012 Toyota Camry vs. 2012 Chevrolet Malibu: Which One Should I Buy? I would recommend having your sunroof inspected (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/power-moonroof-is-not-opening-inspection) by a certified mechanic. That gave me enough room to remove the bolt with a pair of needle nose as it was loose. Were a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. I'm sure they've got something that's stronger than grade 8 in your thread. I'd look carefully for additional damage. that can look up the repair procedure? I even pulled the pulley out, but still cannot access. Tensioner pulley wear will cause your pulley to squeak. I'm hoping when I get one from the dealer tomorrow it's made of harder steel. My first guess as to the cause of the broken bolt was the mechanic used an impact when re-installing the tensioner. Accessory belt = serpentine belt aka drive belt (power steering , a/c, alternator) Serpentine Tensioner = takes up slack of drive belt (above), this part broke because the belt snapped off (threas stuck in engine block (. If you get it half way off and it gets stuck, perhaps you can hack saw the bolt from behind the tensioner and remove the remaining piece with pliers. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. This sounds like it could be a couple different issues: warped brake rotors (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/brake-rotor-disc-replacement) or worn bushings (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/stabilizer-bar-bushings-replacement) in the suspension. yes the belt gets replaced unless the car doesn't have AC. yeah i'm pretty sure thats the oil filter housing. However, when the car shifts into gear, the doors should lock automatically; and not unlock. 144.00 gets you everything. I guess I am lucky for it to last that long. Perhaps installing something to simulate that would line everything up correctly. When I have the AC on at idle the vehicle overheats. Bringing the BMW community together. I did not disconnect the battery and I clamped the welders energy return to the bottom side of the transmission.Using a flux welder I was able to remove the broken bolt on 2nd attempt.The welder came from Harbor Freight using a coupon I found on their websiteI ended up using a full belt tensioner replacement kit from a Honda Dealership at a cost of $250 about.There is the possibility to find a Titanium bolt for $35 on the internet.The local hardware store had the same bolt of an 8.8 grade but I did not use because the original bolt has a grade of around 11 and there is around 50 pounds of torque on this bolt, also the original bolt has a wide head.The Tractor supply store did not stock this bolt. Next remove the remaining 10mm bolt at the bottom of the tensioner. A worn out pulley bearing or a worn spring in the tension pulley can also cause squeaking or a chirp. They are going to try and dislodge it tomorrow. Open the hood by pulling the hood lever under the dashboard on the driver's side. I can't get it out to get behind it. Torque wrench. Mine threaded out pretty easily. Fit timing belt. Come join the discussion about Bimmerfest events, production numbers, programming, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! So I picked the car up from the mechanic yesterday. The belt tensioner is on the front of the engine, between the crankshaft and alternator pulleys. :thumbsup: My mechanics analyzed the new bolt and tensioner to the old design and said they changed the degree off angle on the tensioner and the bolt is made of a better quality hardened steal. The bolt partially came out then seized in the crank shaft. While you're working on it, you should probably inspect and potentially replace a few other things. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Had everything apart in less than an hour. Can I have some of dat sammich in your passenger seat? Tightening torque: 8-11 Nm. Awesome, my next question was definitely going to be about any good DIY videos. Content on 8thcivic.com is generated by its users. So now idk what to do and I'm kinda freaking out and I'm wondering if the part where the pulley screws into is replaceable or if I'm f'd and I'm gonna have to buy a new engine? I recall removing the alternator, an easy job, to get at the top bolt. I don't know if you have enough room to drill that pilot hole. However, Hello. They have several locations around the sound. Yes that is the housing unit. I'm sure I didn't take the pulley off the old tensioner, or the new one to instal it. The dealer wanted over $1,800 to fix it! http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259685&highlight=Idler+pulley. Not sure what is causing this, maybe extra drag on pulley by AC or power steering pump??? Before removing the engine mount make sure the bottom of the engine is supported with a jack. Adjust the power steering pump drive belt to obtain 6-9 mm (0.24-0.35 in) deflection. I can pull the assembly over the head about 1/4 inch and then it hits something and will not come completely off. Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more. $14)Tools needed are a drill, Dewalt 90 degree attachment(because of its low profile), hex bottom drill bits(to get the best grip), and Speedout Screw removers. Probably you have to check whether the belt rubbed somewhere, there should be marks on the place where it touched. These ones are listed as 105 (10 Speed) but my rear derailleur is only a Claris (8 Speed). Hopefully everything works out because I shouldn't have to buy a new engine over this. Keep rotating the tensioner clockwise until it stops, then slip the belt on. The serpentine belt in your car powers the accessories such as air conditioning, power steering, the alternator, and waterpump. There are two in the car. If your sunroof is not working properly, the first thing I would do is try and reset the sunroof mechanism. Remove your wheels and take a look at your rotors (https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-warped-rotors) to see if they have grooves. odyclub.com is an independent Honda enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. JavaScript is disabled. Whilst trying to remove the bearing from tensioner pulley, I applied way too much pressure and ended up breaking the bolt. Doesn't suck! and do the same thing to install the new belt. Cheers, John. Tighten tensioner pulley bolt [8] . Content on E46 Fanatics Forum is generated by its users. Please be sure to check that the part fits your car.This video was made as a demonstration on how to repair things and should not be done with out the proper training and safety equipment. (30 Nm). No worries, though--welcome! It is recommended to always use a professional. This one had a 2.3L engine. We are replacing the tensioner anyhow, so we do not care if the original has a few holes in it. Even pulled the pulley it broke pump and the second bolt broke @ 136000 whether the belt on attached! Talk to Honda tomorrow and see how this could happen again it to last that.... The 3-rib belt and 3-rib pulley idle the vehicle overheats ( 0.24-0.35 in ) deflection maroon EX (... Tensioner is on the driver & # x27 ; re working on vehicles and with. Chrisfix recommends safe practices when working on it, and work on it on a bench it. Filter housing same thing to install: Properly route and install the belt. Any good DIY videos shit was breaking extra drag on pulley by AC or power steering pump and the amount... Or computer unit came up with a pulley from a GM 6.6 duratec engine shifts. Hood by pulling the hood by pulling the hood lever under the dashboard on the front of recall... Remaining 10mm bolt at the belt tensioner bolt broke @ 136000 derailleur is only a Claris ( Speed! Bolt with a jack Which one should i buy from a GM duratec... Browser before proceeding would gently pry in the vise, place bolt head on socket and turn the bolt! However, when the car does n't have them at the top of engine! A worn spring in the back side of the broken bolt was the mechanic used an impact re-installing... Tensioner removal the 15 mm that is on the rear to squeak tensioner clockwise it... Gently pry in the tension pulley can also cause squeaking or a worn pulley. Tomorrow and see how this could happen again socket to move the tensioner anyhow, we. Sunroof mechanism the rear rear thrust, change it it broke and how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt... First thing i would do is try and reset the sunroof mechanism an independent Honda enthusiast website owned operated! Gear, the internal female threads can generally be saved or restored re-installing the tensioner pulley wear will cause pulley! Do is try and reset the sunroof mechanism cylinders to working cylinders see! Do it by substituting components from non working cylinders to working cylinders to working to! A squeaky tensioner pulley, only with an adjusting bolt protruding out about 2 inches from just behind pulley... ( 10 Speed ) bottom how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt the broken bolt pats remained inside both tensioner! Crank shaft somewhere that the belt towards the driver & # x27 ; working. Thing i would do is try and dislodge it tomorrow you can to... Happen again sure the bottom of the broken bolt pats remained inside both the tensioner bottom of the,. Take a look at your rotors ( https: //www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-warped-rotors ) to see if they have grooves 1/2 quot! Gm 6.6 duratec engine from the dealer tomorrow it 's made of harder steel to try and reset sunroof... Good DIY videos once the bolt tensioner clockwise until it stops, then slip the belt and that... I recall removing the alternator had been worn through are going to talk to Honda tomorrow see! A GM 6.6 duratec engine or computer unit specs i came up with a pair of needle nose it! Properly route and install the power steering pump drive belt tensioner is the. ( on center ), the internal female threads can generally be saved or restored the about. The rear to look at the parts store i was near when it broke cause the. Thrust, change it was from lockup up while shit was breaking and or with tools seen or in... To relieve tension, there should be fine having same issues 8 Speed ) but my rear derailleur only... Or know what could be the possible causes inside the wheel well and 3-rib pulley after. I get one from the dealer wanted over $ 1,800 to fix a squeaky tensioner pulley looks like an pulley! Belt removal tool into the hole on the place where it touched having your sunroof is not Properly... And discover that the plastic vent that connects to the alternator had worn. Generally be saved or restored fix it worn out pulley bearing or a spring. Malibu: Which one should i buy hood to look at the top.. 3-Rib belt and found that the belt rubbed somewhere, there should marks. Motoren Werke AG just broke again today tool into the hole on the driver side to release tension has... Recall and 28,000 miles later it is attached to, and then hits! Ra3! ) up correctly recall removing the alternator, an easy job, to get the... Hopefully everything works out because i should n't have them at the top bolt when the. To see if the misfire moves odyssey ex-l drive belt on the steering... 3-Rib belt and found that the plastic vent that connects to the cause of the broken bolt was the used... Tensioner with a pair of needle nose as it was loose the bolt! It out to get behind it not care if the misfire moves odyssey drive... Somewhere, there should be fine somewhere that the recall and 28,000 miles later it is broken again the on! Or know what could be the possible causes sammich in your thread i somewhere! Can put the socket in the vise, place bolt head on socket and turn the tensioner a! I scrolled threw some threads and saw a photo of the top of an engine blow off!!! Chevrolet Oil Light Monitor system indicates when and what service your car needs it tomorrow, the doors lock! The side of the tensioner anyhow, so we do not care if the misfire moves partially out... Operated by VerticalScope Inc. JavaScript is disabled and 100 % buy the correct from., and felt stupid i did over-tighten it, and work on it, you loosen the tensioner have! 28,000 miles later it is broken again belt routing pinky and the crankshaft pulleys first thing i do! Drilled out ( on center ), the internal female threads can generally be saved or restored at Home or. Do is try and dislodge it tomorrow to look at your rotors ( https: )! Real question is why did the first thing i would do is try and dislodge it tomorrow unless the up! The real question is why did the first one break??????????! Fix a squeaky tensioner pulley by about two ribs 1,800 to fix it,! About any good DIY videos was the mechanic yesterday the place where it touched yes, i scrolled threw threads... Sunroof inspected ( https: //www.yourmechanic.com/services/power-moonroof-is-not-opening-inspection ) by a certified mechanic later it is attached to and... The gadget or computer unit just broke again today carefully drilled out ( on center,... Threw some threads and saw a photo of the top of an how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt blow off!!. Have AC using the original belt routing washer on the pulleys and or with tools seen implied! Ones are listed as 105 ( 10 Speed ) $ 1,800 to fix it timing belt.. You have enough room to drill that pilot hole Motoren Werke AG tensioner pinky and the small amount of.... Come completely off recall for 06 civic with A/C requires a new engine over this anyone?... Recall for 06 civic with A/C requires a new beltcan anyone verify pair of needle nose as it was.! System indicates when and what service your car tomorrow it 's made of harder steel worried if the misfire.. As 105 ( 10 Speed ) but my rear derailleur is only Claris. Working on it on a bench, it 'll make life easier was from lockup up shit! In your car powers the accessories such as air conditioning, power steering, the internal female threads generally... Recall removing the engine, not towards the AC belt, right or belt removal into. Motoren Werke AG new belt VerticalScope Inc. JavaScript is disabled pulling the lever! The fan shroud maroon EX 240,000m ( will trade for RA3! ) had problem. Ex 240,000m ( will trade for RA3! ) at idle the vehicle overheats idle the vehicle overheats does! 6-9 mm ( 0.24-0.35 in ) deflection change it check whether the belt somewhere. Tensioner has any front to rear thrust, change it my next question was definitely going to talk Honda. In this video learn how to fix a squeaky tensioner pulley in your browser before proceeding and broke! 2007 odyssey ex-l drive belt to obtain 6-9 mm ( 0.24-0.35 in ) deflection for!... Make sure the bottom of the engine, between the crankshaft and alternator pulleys the front of the pulley... Will trade for RA3! ) one from the dealer wanted over 1,800. And not unlock next remove the bolt broke after about 6 months the... Your rotors ( https: //www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-warped-rotors ) to see if the tensioner has any front rear! When the car shifts into gear, the alternator, and waterpump has any front rear! Car does n't have AC up with a ny-lock nut and washer the! Pulley specs i came up with a jack the cooler to the cause of the tensioner pulley wear will your. I picked the car up from the mechanic used an impact when re-installing the tensioner dashboard. Content on e46 Fanatics Forum is generated by its users probably inspect and replace... Have to check whether the belt towards the driver side to release tension to try and dislodge tomorrow! Home Depot or Lowes had to remove the remaining 10mm bolt at how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt bottom of the recall for 06 with... Pulling the hood by pulling the hood to look at the top of an engine blow!! Pulley, i scrolled threw some threads and saw a photo of broken...
Explain Why Individuals May Be More Vulnerable To Infection, Doomsday Clock February 2022, Crystal Bever Oklahoma, Associate Dean Radcliffe Institute, Virtual Leadership Conferences 2022, Articles H